Thank you so much for your interest in volunteering with Aviva! At Aviva we value our amazing volunteer team, and we hope you will consider joining it. Please fill out the volunteer application (scroll down the page and see under “Get Started”), and we will get back to you by mid-May. We apologize for the delay and we thank you for your patience! Please contact email@example.com for additional information.
If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.
– Booker T. Washington
At Aviva, you can have a direct influence in a young person’s life. From a one-time event to a long-term commitment, Aviva has various ways to volunteer and be involved that fit your schedule.
INSTANT ACTION: SINGLE EVENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Group Activities or Events – Gather your friends, colleagues or classmates together and plan a group activity, workshop or special event.
- Sponsor a Field Trip or Take the Teens on a Special Outing – Underwrite or take a group of teens on an outing to the movies, dinner, community events, museums, parks, plays, lunch, etc. Help us broaden their horizons!
- Weekend Workshops for Aviva’s Teens – Have a special talent or skill set? Consider teaching a weekend workshop! Past classes have included guitar workshops, film workshops, fashion workshops, and comic book writing workshops.
- Afternoon Classes for Aviva’s Teens – Teach an afternoon workshop for the teens between 3:30-5:30pm Monday-Friday. Inquire for more details.
Wednesday Night Guest Speaking – Enjoy a family-style dinner with the teens and share your life experiences, your journey, your profession, how you got to where you are today, etc. – topics that would interest youth ages 12-19.
Work with our Foster Family and Adoption Program – Provide child care for our younger children while their parents are in trainings or support groups. Trainings occur on Saturdays
Starting Fresh Basket Collection and Assembly – Most girls arrive at Aviva’s Residential Treatment Center with nothing except the clothes they are wearing. Each teen receives a basket filled with toiletries, bath towels, new bed linens, pajamas, robe and set of new clothes. Help us collect items such as teddy bears, soaps, lotions, robes, alarm clock radios and more, and then host or join an assembly party.
Help Nurture Security – Every child needs and deserves the love and security of a nurturing home. Aviva places more than 30 children in foster homes each year. We give them a special bag with clothes, shoes, a pillow, toiletries and even a stuffed animal. You can collect these items and assemble them in duffle bags to help these kids feel welcome.
Holiday Drive: Adopt-a-Child/Adopt-a-Family – Every holiday season, Aviva counts on the kindness of volunteers to help us find sponsors for more than 100 children and teens and 30-40 of our families experiencing extreme financial hardship. Through holiday gift drives conducted by volunteers, Aviva can bring holiday smiles to many.
SHARING YOUR TALENTS: SHORT-TERM VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- Teach an Enrichment Class – This is a 6-week commitment where volunteers teach a 1-hour class once a week for up to 8 teens (Mondays or Thursdays from 7-8pm). Classes range from arts and crafts, cooking, yoga, beauty, acting, comedy, crocheting, sports, and self-esteem. We welcome your ideas!
- Administrative Help – Looking for a way to gain valuable office skills and support the day-to-day work of Aviva? Come assist Aviva’s busy staff by providing general administrative support.
GOING THE EXTRA MILE: LONG-TERM VOLUNTEER COMMITMENTS
- Mentoring – Not just a volunteer opportunity, but a calling. We look for mentors who will commit to investing their time in the life of one of our girls, not only while she is at Aviva, but after she has left. If you want to touch a life and become a long-term mentor, we invite you to find out more by contacting our Volunteer Coordinator.Because this relationship has such an impact on a teen’s life, we require that you have been a regular Aviva volunteer in one of our other activities for at least six months prior to mentoring.
All volunteers must attend the volunteer orientation.
Legal Requirements: California law requires that all volunteers who will work one-on-one with the young people in our programs must be at least 21 and are required to be fingerprinted and undergo a criminal background check and TB test. Groups are exempt from fingerprinting and background checks since the activity is a one-time event.
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for the date of the next orientation, which happen in the evenings from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Held at Aviva headquarters, 7120 Franklin Avenue, Los Angeles California. Click here for driving and parking directions.